Friday, January 15, 2010

Dec 16th - A visit with Nan van Hoorn

One of the great things about being home is catching up with family. On Dec 16th, my Mum's sister Willy and her husband John, picked up my Nan van Hoorn and brought her over to see us at my parents house. It was so nice to seem them all. Especially my Nan. She is now 92 and still very healthy but has dementia. I got this great shot of her bouncing Elliott on her knee. She also was singing a Dutch baby song which was so cute, something about bouncing the baby on your knee and then bouncing them up in the air at the end. I wish I had caught it on video.

My Nan's name is Elsina, but when they migrated to Australia she became Ella. And our Ella is named after her. I really love my Nan. In grade 11 my Pop passed away. They lived in Devonport and so all of year 12 I would stay with her one night a week to keep her company and she would teach me Dutch. I have found memories of that time and I really got to know her well.

No comments: